Among those seeking treatment for drug or alcohol addiction, unresolved traumatic experiences can include:
- - Experiencing physical, verbal, or emotional abuse.
- - Experiencing sexual abuse.
- - Experiencing a sudden loss or complicated grief.
- - Witnessing or being a part of violence.
- - Involvement in a traumatic car accident.
- - Receiving a devastating medical diagnosis.
People dealing with trauma often withdraw from others and disconnect. They suffer from anxiety and fear, and are easily startled. Insomnia and nightmares are also common. When trauma is at the root of addiction, it’s critical to find other ways of coping without drugs or alcohol to numb the pain.